You’ve got five ways to make deposits:
- Direct deposit of paychecks, benefits, or other payments
You can set up Direct Deposit to your Varo Bank Account for paychecks, government benefits, and other payments, like Airbnb income, an insurance payment, or a Stripe transfer. With Direct Deposit, you can get your paycheck up to two days early1.
Varo also accepts Instant Pay from Uber and Express Pay from Lyft.
1Faster access to funds is based on comparison of traditional banking policies and deposit of paper checks from employers and government agencies versus deposits made electronically. Direct deposit and earlier availability of funds is subject to payer’s support of the feature and timing of payer’s funding.
- Transfers from an external bank account
There are two ways to make a transfer from an external bank account to your Varo Bank Account:
- Transfer in the Varo app.
- Transfer through your other bank’s online banking tools.
Transfers through your other bank, called ACH transfers, can take 2–4 business days and require verification that you own the other account before you start. Verification involves either entering your login credentials or confirming you received two small test deposits of a few cents each to make sure the 2 banks are linked properly before transferring money.
- Transfers from digital wallets like Cash App, Venmo, and PayPal
Setting up transfers from digital wallets is easy. Just follow the instructions in the wallet’s mobile app or website.
Before transferring from digital wallets to Varo, consider this:
- Do you need to move money right away? Some digital wallets can do instant transfers for a small fee, so check with them for details first. You’ll need to provide your Varo Visa® Debit Card number to make instant transfers.
- Can you wait a couple days to move money? Then you can do it for free with an ACH transfer from a digital wallet.
To set up an ACH transfer, connect your digital wallet to your Varo Bank Account using your Varo account number and routing number. Find those numbers in the Varo app by tapping Move Money > Direct Deposit.
This transfer typically takes 1–2 business days and may require a verification process to start.
- Mobile deposit of paper checks
You can deposit checks by taking two photos in the Varo app. Tap Move Money > Deposit a Check. You’ll find a limit for how much you can deposit on the Deposit a Check screen.
Limits may change based on how long your Varo Bank Account has been opened and prior account activity. Keep in mind, your check deposit won’t hit your account on the same day.
We're working to make mobile check deposit available to everyone. If you have a check to deposit and don't see "Deposit a check" in the Move Money tab of your app, please contact us for assistance.
You’ve got 2 ways to deposit cash:
- Deposit cash when you check out at thousands of Green Dot® locations nationwide, like Walmart, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, 7-11, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Albertsons, Safeway, Kmart, and Kroger.
- Deposit cash by purchasing a Green Dot MoneyPak® at most of those same stores.
When you deposit cash at checkout: We’ll make the deposit available as soon as Green Dot sends it to us—usually within 10 minutes. At some Green Dot retailers, it can take up to 1 hour. We don’t charge a fee, but the store will charge a fee of up to $4.95. Here's more on Green Dot, including locations.
When you deposit cash with a MoneyPak: You’ll purchase a MoneyPak and create an account to complete the deposit. We don’t charge a fee, but the MoneyPak will cost $5.95. Here's more on MoneyPak.